Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A barefoot summer

I had turned 18 a few months ago and the hot air loaded with humidity marked the beginning of the summer. It was a time when I only cared about having fun during the months I was not studying. I really needed a break from the difficult previous semester that made me realize how hard my career choice in that school was. I never regretted attending that particular college but I certainly wished my student life was easier. So I welcomed that summer like I never did it before or after.

Like many others, all I wanted to do was to spend the days and nights in a beach south of Lima. I didn't care where as long as there was a place to sleep, the closer to the beach the better. But this was not an easy thing; I didn't have a job neither much money. I was as poor as any kid can be when the parents are still paying for almost everything. And finding a job without any previous experience on pretty much anything didn't work. At least I was good at math and there were several high schoolers in need of my help. Without them I most probably would have spent the weekends in the stinky city.

(Photo by Clyde Villalobos of Local Magazine)

Thursday was the last day of the week for me that summer. Receiving the blessing of mom and dad's long face I said goodbye for a few days, and there I was on my way to the beach. Nobody was waiting at the bus stop for me, but the rest of the group was expecting for my arrival half way to the south. All together we jumped into a crowded Scania bus and I smiled; nothing better than leaving the jungle of concrete, smog and noise behind. Nothing else really mattered, just the sea and the sand waiting for us a few hours away from everywhere.

Carrying a huge backpack and gallons of water on both hands, the sand between the toes, there we go. A tent standing a few feet from the ocean. A group of friends with no worries besides the color of the flag on top of the safeguard booth. No pants, no t-shirt, no socks, no shoes, just shorts, sand, sun and water. I had no real job, I had no girlfriend either but I was always smiling while walking down the beach or through the stretch lines of small houses in the town close by. That summer I had no worries, I had no money but I was happy just being barefoot.

Barefootly.

1 comment:

  1. Aquellas epocas... Pero no veo mi nombre publicado en la historia...alguien tenra fotos?

    ReplyDelete